Madonna del Cerro’s sanctuary is a destination for Marian pilgrimages and is located near the Rotondo village, the ancient castle and fortress.
The first reference of this church can be found in a document of 1139 belonging to Fonte Avellana Camaldolese monks’ archive, where the church is referred to as their property.
For centuries, it has been abandoned until it resulted in very poor structural conditions. Then, around mid – 19th century, the restauration began.
This restoration seem to be due to a devotee that decided to take care of the church as appreciation for the favour that his family received.
Inside the sanctuary an image of Madonna del Soccorso (16th century), that is considered miraculous, is worshipped, and there are as well a fresco (12th century) and a painting of the Last Supper (17th century).