Saint Chiara’s Church is part of the monastery with the same name that, according to tradition, was built by a Countess from Genga (AN) who , together with other women, in the 12th century founded a community at the Saint Niccolò oratory.
The first official reference regarding the monastery can be found in a document from 1368 and through time the monastery changed multiple times until the extension in 1560. Today it is the residence of the Poor Clare nuns.
In 1472 the humanist Niccolò Perrotti (1430-1480) from Sassoferrato donated the relics that he collected during his travels following Cardinal Bessarione.
These relics, as of today, belong to the Perrotti’s collection, which can be seen in Palazzo dei Priori.
The church has a single nave and through a side opening one can enter a chapel that contains the sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie (1752).
Inside it is also possible to admire a fresco by Antonio of Pesaro representing the nativity.
The monastery houses an accessible small art gallery with three priceless paintings By Giovan Battista Salvi, the ‘Sassoferrato’ (17thcentury): two with the Madonna and one Annunciation.